Jul 26, 2010

Tourtellottes @ Litchfield

Last week, I spent the week at Litchfield Beach with 63 of my closest family members!  


Sounds crazy, I know, but it was SO much fun!  I know what most of your are thinking..."A week at the beach with that many of my family members - no thanks".  But, I tell ya, we've got something special.  It really was fabulous.


My grandmother Dot (whose maiden name was Tourtellotte), was one of 6.  She had 2 sisters and 3 brothers.  Them, their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren get together every other year for a week at the beach. This whole reunion thing was Dot's idea.  She is so missed.  This September will be 4 years since she passed away.  Everyone talked about her and Baxter all week and how much they missed her and how much they wished Baxter could be there.  He had his 93rd birthday while we were at the beach and he really sounded like he was having a great day.  


This year there were 6 houses of people and each family/household took a night for dinner. So we all share the expenses.  One night, we just did dessert.  People came from California - San Diego, LA; Hawaii, Houston, DC, Northern Virginia, Georgia, all of South Carolina, St. Louis, Kansas City, Oklahoma, and Santa Fe.  I think that's it.  Whew - what a crowd! 


This picture is from our immediate family - Dusty, Smith, Bud, Mary Stewart, Marifrasier, Kelly, Kennedy, me and Mom!  We were the ones left when we took our big group picture - Reed had been down and so had my dad!  I'm kind of shocked that he came but everyone was glad to see him and I was glad he came :)






We really did have a fabulous time.  


It was a welcome break from life.  Since May of this year, I have heard of the tragic, sudden, unexpected deaths of 4 people who have in some way been involved in my life.  My sweet Maeve, a dear friend's cousin, a neighbor my age from Greenville, and now a long time family friend.  Tonight, my heart aches. I mourn the loss of and celebrate the life of David Rogers.  I grew up just down the street from him and his family, attended church with his family and grew up with his children who are a year older and a year younger than me.  They're the kind of people you want to be like.  David was a wonderful man, a great dad, a great husband, a fabulous teacher, a good friend, and mentor. I am glad to know that he is celebrating with Jesus.  I continue to pray for his children and family as they mourn the loss of dad, husband, brother and son.

No comments:

Post a Comment