Aug 27, 2011

Pawley's Island

Dear Dorothea Benton Frank:

Your book Pawley's Island is one of my favorite books of all time. It brings to life all of my memories from growing up going to Pawley's Island and Litchfield. My heart holds such a sweet spot for that corner of the world. I have read this book about three times and every time I laugh and cry! You have such a way with words. The following three paragraphs are favorite quotes from your book about Pawley's and the spirit and way of life there. These words are so true.
For all my life, any time spent here made everything right. I could stand on the porch and breathe in with all my lungs, exhale my troubles in a whoosh and the breeze carried them away. I moved differently, slowly but with deliberateness. I slept soundly remembering all my dreams. It's a simple retreat for some and a spa for the soul to others. One thing is certain, its unlike any other place on God's entire creation 
Sure, you've heard about the handmade hammocks and the pristine beaches. You've seen gorgeous pictures of the sunsets and the marsh teeming with wildlife. But you dont know Pawley's until you've been there and experienced its tremendous power.  It is only a tiny sandbar south of Myrtle Beach and north of Georgetown, but be warned, it is there that the Almighty Himself would like to engage you in conversation and redirect your soul.  
The island was a place where you figured things out, made sense of your life and learned to live with yourself and forgive yourself, all the while humbled by its astonishing power and beauty. You just needed some time on Pawleys to find the truth of your own heart and to be grateful again for life.

I cannot wait to return there! I want to swing in the hammock, sit on the front porch during a thunder storm, sit out on the beach with my toes in the water until I am hungry. I want to enjoy the lazy way of life that is Litchfield. I want to exhale my troubles and have the breeze carry them away. I want to sleep soundly. I want a retreat for my soul. I want the Almighty to engage me in conversation.

2 comments:

  1. 1. Love the new background!
    2. Loved talking to you the other night!
    3. LOVE Dorothea Benton Frank as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can i come??? such WONDERFUL memories among life-changing friendships!

    ReplyDelete