Jan 28, 2010

Assurances

I have started to write this post several different times. I'm trying to streamline my thoughts but they seem to be all over the place so I'm just going to go with it! Continuing along the lines of my last post...

When things happen and we don't understand, often the response of others is "It must not have been God's will."  In my head, you know what I hear, "blah,blah,blah". Even though I truly believe this and that His will is "good, pleasing, and perfect" (Rom 12:2), it is difficult for me to hear these words, if only because so often His will isn't what my plans were.  But the truth is: God knows what He's doing.

One of my most favorite verses of recent is Ephesians 3:20 that says "...to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine."  I love those words: Immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine. This reminds me of how marvelous God is.  He knows my hearts desires, He knows what's best for me.  He knows what's going to happen next, even though I have absolutely no idea.  I have had this plan for my life in my head for most of my life and nothing, literally nothing, that I thought was going to be happening to me at 25 is happening.  Not that that's a bad thing.  I mean, I have a great life, one that is hard to complain about when considering the other things that are going on in this world: a friend who lost a job, an uncle with a neurological disease, a friend with a brain tumor, friends with a sick baby, Haiti...but it's still hard for me to realize that things didn't go according to MY plan! He has a much better plan, a fabulous plan, for me!!  I am truly excited about what Christ is doing in my life and how He is preparing me for the next step in my life, whatever and wherever that may be.

My how things can change in such a short period of time.  A year ago today, I thought that my life was over.  I had been out of work for 3 months and had zero prospects for anything new.  I had no idea that 3 months would turn into 8. I had no clue that I would witness the wonderful support, love and encouragement of so many wonderful people over the next few months. I never would have seen myself living in Knoxville, surrounded by life long friends and actually enjoying my job. He has a plan and a time table that is perfect for my life.  He knows.  He knows what He's doing.

There's a new song I've been enjoying lately, I heard at church a few weeks ago called All I have is Christ: The chorus says: Hallelujah! All I have is Christ. Never have these words been more real to me. I also have another quote that is one of my favorites.  I actually have it up on my desk at work and read it often, as a reminder.  I had it on my blog title when I first started: God is God.  Because he is God, He is worthy of my trust and obedience.  I will find rest nowhere but in His holy will, a will that is unspeakably beyond my largest notions of what he is up to. - Elizabeth Elliott.  This is similar to the verse in Ephesians for me.  Unspeakably beyond my largest notions...I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment