Mar 10, 2010

Living in the Present


I've had several conversations with friends lately about living in the present.  The here and now.  Until this point in my life, I've been encouraged to look to the future...where are you going to college? Where are you going to grad school? Where are you going to live? Where will you work? What's going to be the next step?  Always focusing on the next step...I think it is vital to live in the here and now.  And it's so easy to get caught up in what's next.

For me, even more than life's "What nexts", I tend to focus on the past.  I daydream about what's already happened, rather than what is going to happen.  I continually reflect over the events of the past few years.  In some ways my life has been pretty uneventful, but in other ways it has been completely ridiculously crazy - especially over the past year and a half.  I can be taken back to that moment in November 2008 so quickly, yet it is March 2010. Even beyond that though - I relive conversations and interactions with friends....See- even now I'm getting distracted from the present!!

I stole this from Jon at SCL. "Learn to live in the present. I think satan is desperate to keep you out of the now, because it’s where Christ lives. I’m convinced that in the moment, in the hours we’re given, Christ is waiting. And satan loves to keep us focused on a past we can’t change or a future we can’t control instead of in a present we can participate in."
  • God is good and he works in ways that we will never understand
  • His timing and resources are limitless
  • His vision for this work exceeds anything that we originally dreamed - Ephesians 3:20
I find great peace, joy and trust in those things.  Knowing that He works in ways I will never understand can help keep me focused on the present.  It helps me know that living in the past and constantly thinking about the future doesn't do much for me.  It keeps me out of the present.  It keeps my heart from a waiting Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment