Apr 7, 2010

Homesick

Well, this may be my third post this week.  Work has been a little slow and we've been in the office.  When we're out "in the field", we're on a time crunch to get the work done because we don't have infinite time to be out at the client's office.  But now that we're back in the office...things are kind of calm and slow.

There are so many wonderful things in my life that I'm THANKFUL for: health, a home, family, friends, my job....this list could go on for days and days.  My life really is fantastic right now.  When I was at my parents home this weekend, I went to their church (the church that I grew up in) and it felt so good to be able to tell people that I'm doing great and truly, honestly mean it!!  I love Knoxville, I love the friends that I have here, I enjoy my job and it's only recently that I've started to feel like Knoxville really is home for me.  And, as of tomorrow, I've lived in Knoxville 9 months!  It's unbelievable that it's gone by that quickly.  But today and this week, I find myself feeling a little homesick for Greenville.  Just being there for the weekend is enough to spark this feeling of nostalgia in my heart.  I didn't really want to use the word nostalgia, but when I looked up synonyms this is what it said and this is exactly how I am feeling: fond memories, homesickness, longing, pining, reminiscence, sentimentality, wistfulness, and yearning.  Not that my life in Greenville was perfect or that it would be if I still lived there, but it seemed that my life was on this perfect path and was falling right in line with MY plan.


My fabulous cousin Michele wrote recently in her Coaching Blog  :

"First of all, there seems to be this collective idea about The Plan.  Know what I mean?  The Plan goes like this: Do well in high school --> Go to a great college --> go to law school/get an MBA/become a doctor --> get the perfect job.

And guess what?  Doesn't always happen like that.  Sorry to burst your balloon kiddo." 
While I know this is true, it is often hard to accept.  It's a life lesson.  Life lessons are usually difficult to learn.  A friend from Greer said this weekend "See! Everything works out!"  It does.  I know it will but sometimes it's hard to see the other side when you're in the midst of disaster. Rick, my parents pastor, said "So it was worth all the pain?"  Haha! I'm definitely not ready to say that and I don't know that I'll EVER feel that way but maybe one day (like give me 10 years), at least that's what I'm hoping (and maybe in less than 10 years!) But for now, I'm homesick for South Carolina....

No comments:

Post a Comment