Jun 3, 2009

Stuff Christians Like

Per Jon Acuff @ Stuff Christians Like:

I don't know what's going on in your life. Maybe things are great right now and you’re thinking “oh jeez Serious Wednesday.” That’s awesome that things are good right now, God certainly showers us with greatness. But maybe you just went from a great job to a no job kind of situation. Maybe you're crying out for novacaine right now. I don't know your specifics, but what I do know is that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

It's not in some things, or in most things or in the things that make sense in the moment. It's all things. And for the ones that hurt, for the moments that don't make any sense whatsoever, we're given a great reassurance in Romans 8:26.

"We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."

I love that. I love that when we don’t have the right words or the perfect words, the Spirit groans for us. That's the prayer I pray during life’s root canal moments. I just ask the Spirit to “groan.” It's not the most elaborate prayer. It's not that fancy, and it would make perhaps the world's shortest book. But when I'm in a corner and don't know what to pray for because the pain doesn't seem to line up with my plans, that's all I say to the Holy Spirit. That's my simple prayer request.

No comments:

Post a Comment