Feb 23, 2011

Going It Alone

There are so many times when I feel alone. I know that I'm not alone but sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly pity-party-ish, I feel pretty alone. And I'm trying to live this life by myself. Alone. Thanks for this sweet reminder that I came across this week. I don't check this site a whole lot but I just decided to pop over there tonight and this is what I found.

Read this below from Jon Acuff at Stuff Christians Like:

God never said to do it alone.



God never ordered the Israelites to take the Promised Land with their power and their wisdom and their ability. Not at all. In fact he promises just the opposite in Exodus 6:6-8


‘I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am the Lord.’”


Look at what he says:
I will bring you out
I will free you
I will redeem you
I will take you as my own people
I will be your God
I will bring you to the land I swore
I will give it to you


Seven times, in three verses, God reminds the Israelites and us that he never calls us on adventures alone.


There’s a long list of things you can’t do. You can’t fight giants. You can’t find a new job. You can’t fix relationships. You can’t. You can’t. You can’t. But God can.


I’m a little scared of what’s ahead, but I’m excited too. I’m just going to take one step at a time. I’m not going to count giants. I’m not going to try to force God’s hand to make things happen the way I want them to. I’m going to take one step at a time and remember that I serve a God who never asks us to go on adventures alone.

This is exactly how I feel. What a great reminder of the God that loves us. Our American society, challenges us to do things alone but God doesn't want us to. He wants to free me, redeem me, take me as his own, and give me the things that he promises - more than I could ever ask or imagine.

My friend Whitney told me about the sermon at her church this past week and the pastor said something like, you know, sometimes, we get stuck in this rut of asking and asking and asking for things from God and we get disappointed when the things that we want don't pan out. Her suggestion was that when we're tired of praying that we turn and praise him. I love that. I love that when we get so wrapped up in demanding things from Jesus, that we can turn to praise and not get caught up in only asking for our desires. My desire is that I will be able to do this and be able to praise Him more and allow him to guide me through this life while following his will.

1 comment: