Jul 22, 2009

Culture Shock

I dont know that it's really culture shock but it is in a way. Every day while I'm driving home I think, man, I can't believe that I really live in Knoxville now. I'm not here just visiting friends or hanging out or going to a wedding...I actually live here!

I love Knoxville! I love my job! I love the people that I'm working with! I love seeing college friends on a regular basis and without the rushed need to see a lot of people all in one weekend! It's so great. It's great to be able to drive a short distance and be able to see most of my friends that still live in the area. It's great to connect with old friends. It's great to drive less than 3 miles to work and the gym. It's great to have 3 sessions with a personal trainer. I love my new home! I think I've finally got it like I want it, with the exception of the downstairs bedroom. Who knows what I'm gonna do with it. Eventually I'd like to get some furniture in there and have it be a real guest bedroom. Right now it's the "everything-that-I-dont-know-what-to-do-with-goes-here" room! It's great to have friends who come to Knoxville (Jennie) often and that I can see because I live here now! It's crazy! It's great to be 2 1/2 hours from Nashville!

However- I REALLY love Greenville! I miss my family. I miss seeing BopBop every day. I miss being the family babysitter. I miss stopping by to see my grandparents. I miss eating food from my parents garden. I miss Downtown Pres. I miss Downtown Pres and the people there and my little group of folks who always hung out and my CG. I miss Sunday nights at Barleys (there is Barleys in Knoxville but it just wouldnt be the same). I miss Sunday mornings with Brian's teaching. I miss living downtown and walking everywhere. I miss Chicora Alley. I miss Spill the Beans and the Blueberry Frog. I miss Oysters on the West End. I miss the Paris Cafe for lunch with Nellie. I miss living 1/2 a mile from the park. I miss Downtown Greenville - there's something captivating about that place...

I have some real mixed emotions about being here but I'm so excited about "starting over"!

I stole this from my friend Lindsey's blog:

Here's to
d o i n g
things you never
thought you could or would,
o b e y i n g
that voice inside you
that tells you big things only
happen when you take big risks,
and
b e c o m i n g
the person you know you're
supposed to be...
even when you don't want to.
Time for a new chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment