Aug 31, 2009

Fallish Weather and Pet Peeves

As I write this, I am sitting on my lovely back porch on this cool summer night.  It did get warm today but there's no humidity and it felt like Fall first thing this morning.  Fall is my favorite season - it's getting cold, not too cold but sweater weather, there's college football, and the Holidays just around the corner....can life get any better??? 

I decided to write about my pet peeves today.  I have two - people who don't return phone calls and people who blow their nose in public. Originally I intended this blog to not be a personal journal or complaint column but I feel that this post is more of a PSA (Public Service Announcement). A lot of you know that my number one pet peeve is people with poor communication skills.  This applies not only to friends but in business relationships as well.  Freakin' call somebody back already! I have wonderful friends.  I have friends all over the country.  And I have friends who don't like to return phone calls.  How are you supposed to manage relationships if friends won't respond to phone calls, emails or text messages.  Currently, I have a two call limit on my friends.  I will call a friend twice without a return phone call in a reasonable amount of time then (usually a month or two), I will not call them again, unless I forget because it's been so long! There is hardly anyone who falls outside of the two call limit, except my family and maybe a college roommate or two!  When people don't return phone calls, you know what it says to me...."I don't care".  When I don't hear back from you, I automatically think that you, who refuses to return calls, don't care about my friendship and that it's not important to you.

This two call (and now text) limit may sound ridiculous but friendships are so important to me that I work hard to maintain them.  I also feel like I shouldn't have to chase down my friends.  When I lived in South Carolina, I was always driving back and forth to Knoxville and all over the country and spending counltess hours on the phone with my friends who weren't around.  My friends are some of the most important people in my life.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now but I hope you know that the two call limit is not in place because I'm demanding or being ridiculous but because I value relationships with people that I love.

That being said - Happy Fall and Happy Football Season! College kick off is just a few days away! :) I guess I'm a Tennessee fan now that I live in VOL Country.

1 comment:

  1. i was hoping you'd go into as much detail about pet peeve #2 as you did pet peeve #1. let me down, cub. gosh!

    ReplyDelete